Concealed Handgun Carry Permit
Did you know?
Starting in January of 2020, Tennessee will have not one but two different handgun carry permits: the Concealed Handgun Carry Permit (a “mini permit” with restrictions) and the Enhanced Handgun Carry Permit (exactly like what we have now). We’ve compiled some information here on our website to help you learn more about the differences between the two.
Coming soon… CCW Express!
Citizens Safety Academy is preparing new curricula to meet the needs of anyone planning to apply for the new Concealed Handgun Carry Permit under Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1366. Starting in January, we’ll be offering a new line of in-person and online courses called CCW Express. This coursework is designed to meet the lighter training requirements for the CHCP. CCW Express will feature condensed overviews of the following topics:
- Firearms safety rules
- Handgun action types and features (nomenclature)
- Handgun uses and purposes
- Basic marksmanship skills and techniques
- Safe storage of firearms and ammunition
- Safe transportation and safe storage methods in vehicles
- Safe handgun cleaning instructions
- Basic current Tennessee law on carrying handguns
While we highly recommend continuing on to more in-depth training, CCW Express will at least meet the minimum statutory training requirement for the new concealed handgun carry permit. Stay tuned for future updates, or contact us for more information.