After the Permit (ATP): Level 1
August 8 @ 8:00 am - 1:00 pm$60.00
So you’ve got your Tennessee Enhanced Carry Permit or Concealed Carry Permit. Excellent! Now what? Handgun permit training is a great start, but it’s very basic, focusing mostly on relevant statutes and safe handgun operation. It wasn’t created to teach you how to carry a handgun in public or use one to defend yourself from violent attack. Defending yourself with a handgun demands a level of skill. Developing the required skill takes more than one class, it is a process that involves time, instruction, and structured practice.
For those who want to gain confidence and competence with their handgun we have the “After the Permit” series of courses, ATP-1 and ATP-2.
ATP-1 is a half-day course that continues where the TN Handgun Permit class ends. Topics include:
- A review of the rules of safe gun handling and how to apply them
- A review of the shooting fundamentals with an emphasis on defensive application
- Safe loading, unloading and storage of handguns
- How to handle and operate a handgun in a comfortable and robust manner
- How to select the right gear for training and carrying
- An introduction to accuracy standards
- Introduction to defensive and preparatory mindset
- Proper “ready positions” and safe gun-handling
Completion of ATP-1 will prepare you for success in ATP-2, where we introduce students to holster work and other defensive handgun techniques and applications.
This course was designed for people who already have their handgun carry permit or are planning to obtain one soon. We will certainly review the fundamentals of marksmanship, but students should already be familiar with their own handguns and the firearm safety rules. For more information, please contact us.
Here’s what you’ll need to bring with you to class:
- Reliable handgun (completely unloaded, in a case or gun bag)
- 100 rounds of quality practice ammo
- Eye and ear protection
- Note-taking materials
- Anything you need to be comfortable in the elements (we use an outdoor shooting range)
We can provide eye and ear protection if you don’t have your own. You can also purchase ammunition from us if necessary. Please let us know well in advance if you plan to buy ammo from us, so we can make sure we’re sufficiently stocked in time for class.
You will not need a holster for this class. Holster work is covered in ATP-2, the second level of our After the Permit series.