- This event has passed.
CCP Express: Concealed Carry Permit Class
February 10 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$40.00
Interested in getting your Concealed Carry Handgun Permit? This three-hour safety course satisfies the minimum training required by Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1366 to obtain a Concealed Carry Handgun Permit (CCP). Tennessee does not require a permit to merely own a firearm (for example, if you keep one in your home). However, if you want to carry a firearm concealed on your person out in public, you’ll need a CCP. There are lots of people advertising permit classes nowadays. Before you sign up for the cheapest, closest, or shortest course you can find, please consider what makes CSA unique.
Topics covered in this course:
- Firearms Safety Rules
- Handgun Features (Nomenclature)
- Handgun Uses and Techniques
- Handgun Knowledge and Skills for Safe Handling
- Basic Safe Storage of Firearm and Ammunition
- Safe Transportation and Safe Storage Methods in Vehicles
- Safe Handgun Cleaning Instruction
- Current Tennessee Law on Carrying Handguns
- Next Steps and Options for More Training
Since most people who take this class plan to get their carry permit, the course content is tailored for the context of personal defense (as opposed to hunting, sport shooting, etc.). Concealed carry is very different from other firearms applications, and we take care to point out those nuances. Beyond the state’s minimum required reference to handgun-related statutes, we also cover the legal implications of defensive force, including deadly force.
This is a non-shooting class where we only cover safety, storage, legal principles, carry modes and methods, and other topics relevant to anyone who plans to carry a firearm in public. Since we’re not shooting at all, you won’t need to bring a firearm or any ammo or other range gear. Instead, all you’ll need is:
- A positive attitude
- An open mind
- Note-taking materials
Some of the best features of our CCP class include:
- Uncompromising adherence to safety protocols
- Small classes with low student-teacher ratios
- Patient instructors who can relate to new and non-traditional shooters
- Attention to detail and individualized instruction
- A non-intimidating atmosphere
- No political advocacy or divisive, polarizing rhetoric
- Extra attention to fundamentals and practical application
- Primary focus on self-defense contexts (as opposed to hunting, sporting, or competition)
- Ultimate respect for students’ time, priorities, and motivations
The decision to carry a firearm for protection is an important one. We understand that this will be many people’s very first firearms training class, so we go out of our way to make it a positive experience.
CCP Express is a non-shooting course. If you’d like to take a course that includes live-fire, please consider the Enhanced Handgun Carry Permit course instead. That course is a full day, it includes a trip to the range, and it goes into a lot more detail about the implications and responsibilities of going armed. The Enhanced Permit also has fewer restrictions than the Concealed Carry Permit.
At Citizens Safety Academy, we firmly believe that anyone who plans to carry a gun should have competent live-fire training. However, we also realize that not everyone is able to make the commute or take off work to attend an in-person class. So, we’ve put together an online CCP training course that is approved by the State of Tennessee. For more information on training online, please visit OnlinePermitClass.com.