- This event has passed.
NRA CCW Course (TX)
October 12, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 6:00 pm$160.00
The goal of the NRA CCW Course is to teach the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to carry a concealed pistol for personal protection. NRA CCW is a newly-developed curriculum that builds on the fundamentals taught in the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course and puts those skills into a defensive context for private citizens who carry concealed handguns. This course is eight hours in length, with a significant portion of the class spent on the range.
Some of the topics in the course include:
- Review from NRA Basic Pistol or TN Handgun Carry Permit class
- gun safety rules
- proper operation of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols
- Fundamentals of marksmanship
- ammunition knowledge and selection
- holster selection
- different carry modes
- drawing from a holster (open and concealed)
- defensive mindset
- defensive accuracy and flash sight picture
- emergency reloading
- malfunction clearances
- one-handed shooting
- shooting from moderate distances (10-15 yards)
- shooting with a timer
- and much more!
Small classes ensure low student-to-instructor ratios for lots of individualized attention. The course concludes with a written test and a shooting qualification drill. Our patient instructors will be there to assist students every step of the way in a comfortable, non-intimidating environment.
Students will need:
- a quality defensive handgun
- a properly-fitted holster and belt
- at least two extra magazines or speed-loaders (and a method of carrying them on your person)
- roughly 150 rounds of ammunition
- a cover garment for concealment
- anything you need to keep yourself comfortable in the elements (we’ll spend several hours on an outdoor range)
If you don’t yet have a handgun or holster, we can lend you one of ours for this course (however, if you plan to continue on to the CCW Instructor course, you should have your own gear). Students may also purchase ammunition from us if necessary. Feel free to contact us for questions about equipment requirements, and please let us know in advance if you will need to borrow equipment or purchase ammo.
The NRA CCW course lasts a full day (roughly eight hours), with a significant portion of the class spent on the range for live-fire drills.
The NRA CCW course builds upon the skills taught in NRA Basic Pistol. Whereas Basic Pistol focuses on safety and pure marksmanship fundamentals, the CCW course puts those fundamental skills into a defensive context. This course is ideal for those who intend to carry a concealed handgun on their person, outside of the home.
In order to take this class, students should already have their Texas LTC or a handgun carry permit from another state (or equivalent – please contact us if you have questions about the prerequisite). Students are expected to already be generally familiar with the five fundamentals of marksmanship. There will be some review of general marksmanship (sight alignment, trigger control, etc.), but the primary focus of NRA CCW is defensive mindset and concealed carry techniques (presentation from a holster).