Concealed Carry: Street Encounter Skills and Tactics (John Murphy)
September 25, 2021 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm$400.00
CSA is excited to welcome John Murphy of FPF Training, who is traveling from Northern Virginia to offer his flagship course, Concealed Carry: Street Encounter Skills and Tactics. In this immersive two-day class, John starts by sharpening fundamental pistol and holster skills, and then he uses practical exercises test students’ skills in realistic decision-making contexts.
Concealed Carry: Street Encounter Skills and Tactics is a 2.5 day, 24-hour course designed to inform and instruct lawfully armed citizens in their defensive decisions and equip them with realistic skills that enable an effective and lawful approach to personal security. Employing a highly dynamic combination of lecture, demonstration, and practical application, the course goes past the concentration on shooting skills that most concealed carry classes focus on and provides a combination of “hard” and “soft” skills and strategies “beyond the gun” that opens minds and options for armed citizens.
The class consists of four hours of “view ahead” video content, followed by four hours of lecture and practical application on Saturday, and then six hours of intensive pistol skills. Sunday is 100% range time incorporating those lessons in a challenging and PRACTICAL live fire environment. Your mind will be educated on how to use your mind, mouth, your feet to achieve situationally appropriate de-escalation or use of force.
Specific course content and methodology relies heavily on incorporating the science of “Recognition Primed Decisions”, deriving lessons from security videos of actual events and honing the skills most needed by ordinary people that find themselves in extraordinary circumstances.
- Developing the defensive mindset and decision-making process
- Tactics and techniques to support the Awareness, Avoidance, De-Escalation, Evasion paradigm
- Conflict Communications
- Pre-Incident criminal behavior, Managing Unknown Contacts (Credit to Craig Douglas)
- Employing pepper spray (every student will be supplied with two pepper spray trainers)
- Stopping bleeding with pressure dressings and tourniquets
- Shooting in 3D: Pistol ballistics and tactical anatomy considerations
- Shooting drills and skills derived from incidents involving armed citizens
- Decisive Movement
- Much more that you won’t learn in other classes!
John Murphy has been instructing civilian concealed carry classes for over fifteen years and has trained under some of the most respected firearms instructors in the country, incorporating the best and most practical methods and techniques into his courses. While he has extensive military and civilian Department of Defense experience, he has learned much more about shooting and self-defense for citizens in these venues than he has during his service. John founded FPF Training in northern Virginia and is increasing the number of courses he offers around the country.
What to Bring:
- 500 rounds of ball ammunition (factory is preferred)
- the pistol you carry
- a QUALITY holster (No SERPA type or floppy nylon!)
- 4 magazines
- eye and ear protection
- weather appropriate clothing, sunscreen, bug repellent, etc.
- notepad and pen
- all the usual stuff you need on the range.
Students must have had prior formal training in safety, marksmanship, and presenting the pistol from concealment. All students are expected to arrive at the course with experience and training in drawing from concealment, as well as safe gun handling practices.
What should you know before training with John?
- This is an intermediate class.
- All students are assumed to already have safe gun handling skills.
- All students are assumed to already have at least a basic understanding of their firearm, their holster, and basic presentation technique.
- This is not a class for people who are new to shooting or unfamiliar with their equipment and carry method.