TN Armed Guard Certification Course
April 7 @ 8:00 am - April 8 @ 6:00 pm$150.00
Are you interested in becoming an armed security guard? We can help. Private security work in Tennessee is governed by the Private Protective Services Licensing and Regulatory Act (Title 62, chapter 35 of the Tennessee Code). It’s regulated by the Department of Commerce and Insurance, which administers the application process. One requirement for new applicants is 16 hours of specialized training. If that’s the training you’re looking for, you’re in the right place!
In Tennessee, all armed security guards must meet the armed guard registration requirements to be authorized to carry a firearm on the job. This course satisfies the training requirement imposed by Tenn. Code Ann. § 62-35-118 (b) for applicants seeking to earn an armed security registration card.
As required by law, this is a 16-hour course that includes 4 hours of unarmed guard training and 8 hours of classroom instruction with a focus on authority, duties and legal responsibilities of security guards/officers, use of force laws in Tennessee, gun safety, and proper selection of weapons and gear. The final 4 hours are spent in live fire training on the range.
Range training includes hands-on time with weapons to improve mindset, marksmanship, and manipulation skills, as well as defensive shooting tactics, techniques, and procedures.
Below are the eligibility requirements for an armed guard license (see Tenn. Code Ann § 62-35-117). Note that a security guard who holds an armed guard license may work either an armed post or an unarmed post (no need to separately obtain an unarmed guard license).
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a resident alien (green card holder)
- Must have never been declared by any court to be incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease (unless you’ve since been declared competent)
- If previously convicted of any felony or serious misdemeanor (involving violence, firearms, or theft), the applicant must have completed serving any sentence or probation at least five years prior to applying for the security guard license
- Must not be addicted to drugs or alcohol;
- Must not have any disability that prevents you for safely performing security duties; and
- Must be of good moral character.
Successful applicants must meet the training requirements and submit electronic fingerprints for processing TBI and or FBI criminal history check. This course satisfies the training requirement (see Tenn. Code Ann. § 62-35-118 (b).
Are you interested in becoming an unarmed guard instead of an armed guard? We offer training for that too. We also offer license renewal training for security professionals (required by law every two years to keep license current). If you’d like to inquire about renewals or unarmed security, please contact us.
This class offers a total of 16 hours of instruction, including several hours of dry fire and live fire training on the range (range work is done at the OK Corral Shooting Range in Woodbury, TN). You’ll need:
- Approximately 200 rounds of ammunition (you can purchase that from us if necessary)
- A reliable defensive handgun (contact us if you have questions about what handguns are appropriate)
- A quality belt-worn defensive holster that does not collapse when the gun is drawn
- At least one belt-worn magazine pouch (or speed-loader pouch)
- At least one spare magazine or speed-loader
- Attire, outerwear, and shoes appropriate for outdoor shooting
- A positive attitude
- An open mind
- Note-taking materials
If you need to purchase ammo from us or use one of our handguns, please contact us in advance to let us know so we can make sure we’re sufficiently stocked.