TN UNarmed Guard Certification Course
July 19 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 pm$60.00
Are you interested in becoming an UNarmed security guard? We can help. Private security work in Tennessee is governed by the Private Protective Services Licensing and Regulatory Act (Title 62, chapter 35 of the Tennessee Code). It’s regulated by the Department of Commerce and Insurance, which administers the application process. One requirement for new applicants is 4 hours of specialized training. If that’s the training you’re looking for, you’re in the right place!
In Tennessee, all security guards must meet the UNarmed guard registration requirements to be authorized to carry a firearm on the job. This course satisfies the training requirement imposed by Tenn. Code Ann. § 62-35-118 (b) for applicants seeking to earn an security registration card.
As required by law, this course includes 4 hours of classroom instruction with a focus on authority, general duties and legal responsibilities of security guards/officers, emergency procedures and the application process.
Below are the eligibility requirements for an UNarmed guard license (see Tenn. Code Ann § 62-35-117).
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a resident alien (green card holder)
- Must have never been declared by any court to be incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease (unless you’ve since been declared competent)
- If previously convicted of any felony or serious misdemeanor (involving violence, firearms, or theft), the applicant must have completed serving any sentence or probation at least five years prior to applying for the security guard license
- Must not be addicted to drugs or alcohol;
- Must not have any disability that prevents you for safely performing security duties; and
- Must be of good moral character.
Successful applicants must meet the training requirements and submit electronic fingerprints for processing TBI and or FBI criminal history check. This course satisfies the training requirement (see Tenn. Code Ann. § 62-35-118 (b).
Are you interested in becoming an armed guard? We offer training for that too. We also offer armed/unarmed license renewal training for security professionals (required by law every two years to keep license current). If you’d like to inquire about renewals or unarmed security, please contact us.