- This event has passed.
NRA CCW Instructor Certification Course (Memphis)
February 1, 2020 @ 8:00 am - February 2, 2020 @ 6:00 pm$350.00
The goal of the NRA CCW Instructor Certification Course is to equip firearms trainers with the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to teach others how to safely and responsibly carry a concealed pistol for personal protection. NRA CCW is a newly-developed curriculum that builds on the fundamentals taught in the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course and puts those skills into a defensive context for private citizens who carry concealed handguns. The CCW Instructor Certification Course is 16 hours in length (over two days), with a significant portion of the class spent on the range.
This course teaches firearms trainers how to deliver the NRA’s CCW lesson plans. The lesson plans include the following topics (which instructor candidates will learn to teach):
- Review from NRA Basic Pistol or TN Handgun Carry Permit class
- gun safety rules
- proper operation of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols
- Fundamentals of marksmanship
- ammunition knowledge and selection
- holster selection
- different carry modes
- drawing from a holster (open and concealed)
- defensive mindset
- defensive accuracy and flash sight picture
- emergency reloading
- malfunction clearances
- one-handed shooting
- shooting from moderate distances (10-15 yards)
- shooting with a timer
- and much more!
The course concludes with a written instructor candidate exam and a shooting qualification drill. Small classes ensure low student-to-instructor ratios for lots of individualized attention.
Instructor candidates will need:
- a quality defensive handgun
- a properly-fitted holster and belt
- at least two spare magazines or speed-loaders (and a method of carrying them on your person)
- roughly 150 rounds of ammunition
- a cover garment for concealment
- anything you need to keep yourself comfortable in the elements (we’ll spend several hours on an outdoor range)
The NRA CCW Instructor Certification course lasts two full days (roughly sixteen hours total), with a significant portion of the class spent on the range for live-fire drills. This sixteen-hour instructional time does NOT include Basic Instructor Training (BIT). Since all CCW instructor candidates are required to already be certified as NRA Basic Pistol instructors, we assume most candidates will have already met the BIT requirement. However, if you would like to add the CCW instructor rating and you need to renew your BIT credentials, please let us know. All CCW Instructor course prerequisites (including BIT) will be offered at Top Gun in the weeks preceding this course.
There are two mandatory prerequisites before instructor candidates are eligible to be certified as CCW instructors:
- You must already be an NRA-certified Basic Pistol instructor,
- You must be current on your Basic Instructor Training (BIT) credentials, and
- You must successfully complete the CCW student course (the course you’ll be certified to teach)
These prerequisites are non-negotiable, and there are no exceptions, regardless of your occupation, regardless of other certifications, and regardless of how much prior training and experience you’ve had. For those who need the prereqs, we will be offering those classes at Top Gun as well. Please see our calendar for details or send us an email.