OC Spray and Street Encounter Skills (Chuck Haggard)
July 9 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$40.00
CSA is excited to welcome Chuck Haggard of Agile Training and Consulting for three separate classes over the course of one weekend in July. This Friday night class starts off the weekend and introduces attendees to simple techniques for avoiding crime and victimization. Chuck is nationally renown for his decades of experience with defensive use of oleoresin capsicum (O.C. spray or pepper spray). He designed this course for private citizens who want to have other tools in their tool chest besides guns.
From Chuck Haggard:
In this three-hour class, will we will be covering ways to effectively use OC spray, how to select a quality product, which spray to choose for YOUR needs, and techniques to maximize OC’s effect. I’ll also discuss recognizing pre-criminal assault behavior, avoiding being a victim, and the “MUC” (Managing Unknown Contacts) paradigm (popularized by Craig Douglas of ShivWorks).
This class is great for people who do not carry a gun regularly or for those who just want to have mid-level defensive options that fall somewhere “between a harsh word and a gun” (h/t to Tamara Keel of View from the Porch). Other topics include non-lethal-versus-lethal-force decision making and home defense tools besides firearms (excellent information for teens, college students, or anyone who lives in a gun-free household).
Chuck Haggard has been active in private defensive training throughout his long career in urban law enforcement. After nearly thirty years of steady upward progression through the ranks of the Topeka Police Department, he ventured out on his own to pursue private training on a more regular basis. Chuck maintains his POST certification and stays active in the law enforcement community, but he now devotes even more time to training other police officers, military personnel, security forces, and private citizens on the art and science of personal defense. Below is an abbreviated list of some of Chuck’s credentials.
- 28+ years with the Topeka Police Department, including posts as a Field Training Officer, Field Training Supervisor, Rangemaster/Armorer, Response Team (SWAT) squad leader and team leader, and Watch Commander (rising to the rank of Lieutenant)
- Kansas Army National Guard (1985-1998)
- National Law Enforcement Training Center (NLETC), National Trainer
- Strategos International, Adjunct Instructor
- Survival Operations System, Inc., Instructor/Board of Directors
- Hardwire Tactical, Adjunct Instructor
- Countless training courses and train-the-trainer courses from various reputable sources, including:
- Rangemaster Firearms Training Services
- Defensive Shooting Academy of Tulsa
- HK International Law Enforcement Training Conference
- HSS International
- National Law Enforcement Training Center
- Israeli Shooting International
- Lethal Force Institute
- Strategos International
- Sure-Fire Institute
- Active Countermeasures Systems
- American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers
- Casco System (expandable baton)
- Glock Academy
- Safariland Training Group
- International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors
- National Rifle Association (several civilian and law enforcement instructor certifications)
- PPCT Training Systems
- Taser International
Chuck is certified as a civilian and law enforcement trainer on various weapon systems, including pistol, shotgun, rifle, carbine, oleoresin capsicum (O.C.), baton, and Taser. He is also skilled and experienced at teaching weapon retention, disarming, and other empty-hand techniques. He enjoys teaching and is proud to be able to contribute to this nation’s widespread community of responsible, law-abiding advocates of self-defense.
What to Bring:
This course includes no live-fire. Sample OC sprays and inert training units will be provided. Students will only need to bring note-taking materials.